Wednesday 10 April 2013

H is for Heðin Brú

Heðin Brú was a Faroese writer, translator and spectacular wearer of glasses and tweed suits. I love his hair. He looks like such a gentleman!


I've picked him for my letter 'H' today because it's rare that I get to write about anything Faroese since, like Greenland, it's one of the Nordic countries I'm less familiar with. Which is odd considering I spent a year learning the language. But anyways... 

Heðin Brú is a really important figure in Faroese literature. He started out as a fisherman, then turned to agriculture and spent some time studying in Denmark. When he returned to the Faroe Islands he travelled around meeting people and gaining inspiration for his novels. 

He is considered important because of his extensive work as a translator, translating works of world literature into Faroese. Examples are the tales of Brothers Grimm, Emily Brontë, William Shakespeare and Henrik Ibsen. 

Have you read anything from the Faroe Islands? Have you been there? Are you one of those people who heard "Faroe Islands" and immediately thought "pharaoh" and mentally placed the islands somewhere near Egypt? ;)

the little nordic cabin
x

5 comments:

  1. I had to google map and image them. I never heard of those islands before but I'm intrigued now! Wonder how the beachcombing would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on of the folks that had never heard of them. I just love discovering new places so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Тheу arе willing to do ѕome repair
    work, cleaning, and debгis pickuρ, you have to
    convert to Lаnce Mooгe Jeгѕey a digіtal system!

    As you walκ further, the Dаlіt and Muѕlim quaгterѕ are now mostly in ωeаtheгρrοof bгiсk.


    Hеre іѕ my blog; www.ecflabs.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh interesting. Would be great to read something from there, I love stories from other countries. And you are right, he rocks those specs. x

    ReplyDelete