Friday, 15 March 2013

A Wonderful Surprise

While I was sipping my morning coffee there was a tiny knock on my door, followed by the sound of something being placed on the mat. I decided to investigate...


It was a parcel! Just for me! And inside was a Kindle. I was so stunned and overwhelmed. My dear Björn had sent it to surprise me. It was the loveliest surprise. 

Now I know what you're thinking. I steadfastly oppose e-books and will fight for the printed book but... I have to say... In it's little envelope case, with it's already growing storage of PDF files from my university library, it's a very handy little item for a bookworm like me. I can't read from my computer screen for long periods of time, it always makes my head hurt, so I was never able to make use of all of the web-journals and online resources to use in my writing. Now I can just copy it all onto my Kindle. 

A perfect gift. 

I still love you, real life books. Never leave me. This isn't a betrayal. It's just a tiny affair on the side with my Kindle-mistress.

the little nordic cabin
x

17 comments:

  1. I am tempted -- really tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just downloaded Barrie's Peter Pan for 49p. Just saying. ;)

      Delete
  2. What a great gift! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tillykke med den dejlige gave :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS a great gift! Two years ago I thought I'd never get an e-reader...and now I can't go anywhere without mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was exactly the same. I swore I wouldn't choose technology over 'real' books, but actually as a study tool, it is very useful :)

      Delete
  5. Så flott gratulerer med den fine gaven, stilige bilder.
    Maritklem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I downloaded a Kindle app for my computer, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a convenient reading platform, which is what a book is or an actual Kindle would be. Still, it's gotten me one step in this direction. Still prefer physical books, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - I saw a picture once of a bookshelf full of amazing books standing next to one that was completely empty except for a Kindle. It makes me sad to think of it! I prefer physical books too, but the Kindle has given me access to certain books that I couldn't justify buying but are cheaper for e-readers. So that's definitely a positive :) A benefit of having Kindle for the computer too, I would have got the app, but the computer screen gives me such a headache!

      Delete
  7. I am happy for you ! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I...will....not...give....in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good girl Gail, keep strong! My hero!

      Delete
  9. Flott blogg du har, variert og spennende. Ha en fin helg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tusen takk, det er jeg glad å høre!

      Delete
  10. I love my kindle, wouldn't be without it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nikki! This post reminded me of a short animated film I think you will like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftMo1-cfWE it is called "the fantastic flying books of mr. morris lessmore"

    ReplyDelete